Thursday, December 07, 2006

"What's in a name?

That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Romeo and Juliet

I quoted Shakespeare on Thanksgiving with Lindsay's maternal family in LA, somewhere around the 2-3pm and still no turkey or football, time of the day. Her 12th grade, New York bound, young cousin Julia was sitting among us (NYC Crew: I'm setting high expectations for that town, don't disappoint). I asked her in front of the family: "do you know why it is proper to study Shakespeare fair Julia?" (following my quote). "Because one day, you yourself will be having Thanksgiving dinner with your inlaws, and you too will enjoy coming across as intelligent".

Which therefore leads to -naming of the child. I figured I'd take the blog out for a ride on the topic. First name, middle name, full name, nick-name, family name, names of neighborhoods, all of which are weighed into what may be a very important decision. I seem very comfortable passing over my name to the lad, knowing how things are going for myself carrying this name. I am blogging after all. No juniors though, I was not a junior and when I asked my father one day why I wasn't a junior his response was: "No Junior!". So, I'm taking that response --I took my signature from him as well.

As long as he has a firm handshake, he should do alright with whichever name Lindsay and I give him. I can safely commit to Tom Furey taking care of that on introduction. Nontheless, in true blog tradition, I've decided that our child's name will be decided with another poll. Yes, that's right, the first was so successful -- You've asked!!! We've listened!!! SO HERE WE GO!!!

Click Here To Take The Poll

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damned polls! I fall for that every time.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Vivafiniz said...

How about The Who's "I'M FREE"?

Figure, after 9 months in such tight quarters, that would be appropriate.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home