Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Web 2.1

I'd just like to say that this is very Web 2.1 of me --even more so than Borix and the band:



This does bring up a more interesting topic --potentially one that actually deserves a blog. The notion of Web 2.0. You may have heard this term thrown around depending on what industry you're in or even geography if you're in the Bay. Before going into what this term means (and note that experts still can't define it)--I'm calling it Web 2.1 because if I'm actually a part of it then it must have evolved one tic up! Actually, that's a good starting point for defining it --allowing regular shmoe's like me to a part of a larger community thru the use of technology. Whether it be the opportunity to blog like this or the opportunity for a band to showcase themselves on Youtube like THE acoustic Tebucky Jones up top. Heard about a funny Letterman bit from this week that you missed? Youtube.com. Something about a Jet that gets fired from a submerged submarine? Youtube.com. Want to get a quick overview of who Marcus Garvey was? Wikipedia.com (do not however search hemorroids though, forewarned)

There's a great debate going on right now about Web 2.0 and whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. Being that you are reading what I'm writing, I'm biased towards this being a good thing. Chris Anderson, author of "The Long Tail" has a great quote as a proponent of Web 2.0:

"My interaction with Microsoft has changed in recent years. I used to read the
speeches and see the press releases from Bill (Gates) and Steve (Ballmer) and
absorb the top-down messaging from the company. Now, as a consumer, I'm more
likely to read the individual blogs of the engineers involved with various
products I'm interested in"

Or, take Andrew Keen's position: http://www.aftertv.com

Which I believe is outlined nicely by Forbes editor William Baldwin as: "the junk video industry".

Listen to part 1 of 2 for yourself here:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=5"

And no this post wasn't created entirely to show Washer chummin' on our fishing trip:



Nice.

I'm glad I titled this post Web 2.1 rather than "The YouTube experience". or "I remember the first time I went to YouTube". Even so...one more than I gotta go, if you're a fisherman.



This may or may not turn into The Youtube experience"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home