Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Surprise?


"...it's a boy Mrs. Walker it's a boy. It's a boy Mrs. WALKER, it's a boy....A SON!!!! A SON!!!!"

If you couldn't tell Lindsay and I found out recently that we're going to be having a boy (hold for applause). There's the debate over whether or not to you want to find out. Some say yes, other's want the surprise. I just don't see how the surprise can be any more bigger than the one you get when you see the two stripes instead of just one. The day you learn your boys can swim --especially if you've never "slipped one past the goalie" if I can borrow from Seinfeld (which is having a fire sale thanks to Michael Richards playing Michael Douglas in 'Falling Down'). Now THAT's a good one. Also, while not necessarily a surprise, when you see the baby on the ultrasound --totally blown away. I realized that I haven't been blown away in long time (See 20min Antelople Set I closer -10/6/00 Shoreline- siiiiiick). I think the first shot of the spine was the craziest, followed by the outline of his shoulder and arm --good looking arm too like Lincoln Hawk in 'Over the Top'

So that's the question: Do you find out or not? I say if there's knowledge out there, whatever it may be, don't deprive yourself. Plus when we found out it was a boy I could use the: "at least my kid will have a chance to become President" comment at Thanksgiving with Lindsay's family. Thoughts?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well as an expecting father myself, I have had to make the same decisions. I initially just followed my wife's opinion of wanting to find out . . . I figured that to make this pregnancy journey the most comfortable for me was to agree with most of what the wife wanted. She said she would be more at ease in knowing more for preparation or what not. But unfortunately at our 20 week sonogram we were able to find out the gender of the baby . . . the baby was uncooperative. Which made me think I got a girl or I at least I hoped so.
But now we are at 28-29 weeks and have now changed our opinion of finding out because of public opinion . ."you should wait" they say. I think they only say that after the fact of hearing us say that we have changed our minds and decided to wait out the long haul. Pregnant company is very agreeable I have learned. Example, we have decided to put an African Lip Strecher in the babies mouth when he/she is born . . . pregnant company "Oh thats a good idea they'll like that" ya know? I am getting sidetracked with the gay attitude everyone has when talking about newborns. But anyway.
Obviously I dont think there is a wrong answer/approach here. Both baby girls and baby boys poop terds like 7 to 9 times a day in the begining . . so I hear. "So I got that going for me."
Well Exciting news for you Scagnetti. And if the doctor says "its a girl!!" I hope I dont reply with "really, are you sure?"

7:55 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

Schoon --good work on the reply man. I too have taken the route of letting the woman have the majority of decision-making. The naming process for example, I've told Lindsay that she can name the first couple of ones and I'll take the later ones By the way, have you ruled out Zoo Zoo Petals?

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't you two the biggest sheep in the world.

If there was one thing I learned in Mrs. Fitzgibbons' 11th grade English class, other than that sitting across from the hot girls in Catholic school uniform-short skirts afforded the best chance for in-class excitement, it was that when given her box, Pandora was instructed not to open it. As tempting as it was to find out the contents of the box, she was already endowed with all the gifts any human could want: she was beautiful, brilliant, could weave the shit out golden flax, and as a wedding present to her and Epimethues, Zeus gave her the most pimped out chariot, complete with fuzzy seats and dual chrome spinners on the wooden wheels.

Needless to say, she done opened the box, and things got medieval. For the good of the world, as the story goes, she closed the box just in time to keep Hope inside.

Whatever that means, my take is that you should do what you want. If you need to find out to keep yourself from getting nutty, go ahead. There's no penalty box in the delivery room for those parents who found out. Although that would be hilarious to see.

Personally, we like surprises, but we are hoping for a boy--we already have one and the thought of buying all new stuff for a girl sends me over the edge. There is only so much brightly-colored plastic a man should own.

What would Lex Luther do in this situation?

4:29 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Higgs --sounds like you got one in the oven. congrats! By the way, I'm ok with a son named 'Ashley' as long as I get the Explorer. Baaaaa

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home