Friday, February 18, 2011

Everything's amazing and nobodys happy

This is a great bit by Louis CK on Conan. It hits home on such a real level and he's a funny bastard. From Boston actually. If you're interested there's a terribly funny story/hustle he has about stealing/selling scales in high school. I think it's Newton. Newton South, but for no other reason than I think the dudes from The Office (US version) went to Newton South.

But it's also an unfortunate state of mind that I see too often. Often times its myself, and apologies to my family who are living with weather that I certainly have not experienced, even in the lake-effect CNY. But overall I think we need to start feeling better about ourselves.

As a Red Sox fan, believe me--I understand the 'misery likes company' excuse. We were the loveable losers! Or is that the Cubs? Either way, it was never the Sox year, but we all went thru it together and that was our identity (vomit). And don't let us win a World Series, we'll lose our identity. But guess what happened, we did alright with success. Turns out it was ok to be happy (fucking shocker). Let's win one three years later in '07. And surely my friends in the Capital of Earth would disagree, but we'll do it again in '11 -kangfirmed!

I believe we're living thru an amazing time in our lives right now. Personal computing, mobile communications, immediate information. Look no further than Egypt and Tahir Sq. It may not be totally accurate that social technology that, is really no more than 10yrs old, resulted in the largest revolution in the Arab world, but it certainly played a role and that is amazing. Technology, that's less than 10yrs old, played an integral role in the emancipation of Egypt, a country of 79million people. Pause.

We have to celebrate this time in lives. We all have different issues to address, and we can't be Guy Smiley every day, but dang it, there's plenty to be grateful for! We're contributing on a social level to actual change (thank you Dr. King), the economy is stretching its arms and waking from its slumber, and the responsibility of this country is being passed down to a generation who's had access to more information about every topic than has ever been available. Couple that with the understanding that in the end, as a people, we're alright ---that's a good feeling.

Myself, I'm spoiled with a healthy family, a roof and a job. I know I'm blessed, am thankful for everyday but want to be sure we're not taking this for granted. Likely shit will hit the fan, we know this and we've agreed to this. But before and after we should be thankful for what we have. Everything is amazing --as long as you look at it right.

2 Comments:

Blogger KJ said...

Alex-I loved this post and am going to repost it tomorrow am. And Louis C.K. is a sage. People can't walk five yards without complaining (and I mean that literally. I got stuck in traffic jam in a restaurant parking lot last week because everyone wanted to park within inches of the front door. Walk five yards, fat asses! Myself included that night.

"Grateful" has become my mantra. Good days and bad days as it is for all. Thanks for the healthy dose of perspective here. You rock.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Thanks KJ! This could have been titled "Battling back the Eeyore Effect". I think there's a joke about the "stop bitchin" and "stop snitchin" movements somewhere in there too but I haven't fully fleshed it out.

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home